In a world that values authenticity and transparency more than ever, anonymous social media apps can be a controversial topic. Some popular anonymous apps include Whisper, Secret, Gossup, Rumor, and WUT. These apps allow people to express themselves, ask “dumb” questions and share knowledge with strangers. However, these apps also allow people to hide behind a screen and say hurtful things to others. Do the positives outweigh the negatives? Let’s review the pros and cons. Then you can decide if these apps are truly beneficial for society.
The Pros of Anonymous Social Media Apps
- Creates a unique and free space to display writing and artwork
- Allows your creativity to shine without the fear of people knowing you are the creator
- Provides a space to vent, confess, and get things off of your chest
- Allows you to stay up-to-date on current gossip and “news” in your area
- Anonymously ask your questions to strangers, rather than asking Alexa or Siri
- Encourages unbiased advice from others because they cannot make preconceived judgments about you
The Cons of Anonymous Social Media Apps
- Increased likelihood of defamation because people can hide behind a digital screen
- Creates an easy outlet for cyberbullying
- Encourages a lack of accountability for one’s words or actions
- Receiving criticism from parents and teachers for using the various anonymous apps
In summary, these apps are great for encouraging creativity and collaboration among strangers. However, these users on these apps are easy targets for cyberbullies.
For More Information
The list of anonymous apps is changing often. As old apps are removed from the App Store for various reasons, new apps are created just as often. For a breakdown of the most popular anonymous apps that are currently on the market, read this additional story.